Kong’s exclusive, nontoxic red natural rubber is puncture resistant, super bouncy and chewer friendly. It is unmatched for resilience, durability and bounce. Kong toys are enthusiastically used and recommended by veterinarians, trainers, dog professionals and satisfied customers world wide. X-Small KONGs are for dogs and cats up to 5 lbs.
While everyone is off to school or work, your dog may be left alone all day. While most dogs snooze the day away, when they do wake up, it helps if you left a little entertainment for them. Face it, it doesn’t take much to entertain a dog, but if you did not leave anything for them to do, they very well may find something else, like a couch leg or cushion, to keep them occupied during the day.
Dogs and puppies love toys. Toys that squeak, toys that tug and toys to fetch. Since you are away during the day, the tug toys and fetch balls won’t be of much value. But there are a few toys that can keep your puppy entertained.
My favorite toys are the Kong Toys. Virtually indestructible, the Kong Toys have a hollow center that you can fill with treats or peanut butter and can keep your dog occupied. My dog loves the Air Kong Squeakers and can’t wait for us to come home so he can annoy us with his squeaking. Interactive toys like the Buster Cube can also help entertain your pooch.
Swap out the toys every few days to keep your dog’s interest.
Large rawhides or wrapped rawhides can also keep your dog occupied and away from the furniture. Be wary of smaller rawhides with the knots on the ends. Some dogs may chew to the knot and then try to swallow the end and choke. Pressed rawhide or dental chews work well.
Never give real bones. They can fracture teeth, or splinter and be swallowed. There have also been reports of Salmonella food poisoning from improperly prepared bones. The same is true for the cow hooves. I have had many dogs fracture their pre-molars crunching on the hooves.
Hide and Seek
Scatter some dog treats, kibble or raw vegetables around your yard or house. Dogs are natural foragers and will seek out the treats you have hidden around the yard and house. You can also hide their favorite squeaky toy and they will try to find it while you are away.
Music or Television
Some people have left their televisions on the nature channel to entertain their dog. Some people believe that certain classical music also has a calming affect. Try a few channels yourself to see if your dog responds. Creature Comforts is a CD especially created to keep your pet calmer while you are away.
Dogs love to chew, but they can not distinguish between an old pair of sneakers and a good pair of leather shoes. It is up to your , the pet caretaker, to provide safe and proper chew toys to your dog and by picking the right kind of chew toys, you can also promote great dental health as your dog ages.
Safe Chew Toys for dogs
1. Rolled, shredded or compressed rawhides that are digestible and have been sanitized are generally safe for your dog. There had been a problem in the past with Salmonella contaminating some dog products in the past, so check your labels.
2. Pig ears seem to be safe for dogs, but check for sterility.
3. Dental chews, such as C.E.T. chews and Greenies are excellent chews for dogs and promote great dental health. Dental chews are enzymatically treated to fight plaque and tartar, and come in different sizes for small to large dogs.
3. Kong toys hold up well to chewing for both small and large dogs. Some Kong toys have a hole in the center that you can fill with other chews, peanut butter or a special paste, that will keep the dog entertained for hours. This is especially useful if your dog suffers with separation anxiety. The Air Kongs have a tough, durable “tennis ball” cover with a squeaker inside. My Labrador loves this toy.
3. Plush stuffed animals. Watch for parts that may be torn off and swallowed, or can result in choking. Mostly appropriate for small dogs and puppies. Larger dogs, such as my Jake, can annihilate a stuffed toy in mere seconds, locate the squeaker and try to swallow it.
4. Rope and Floss toys. These are good for dogs teeth and are great fun to play with. Some experts, however, discourage tug-of-war play with your dog because it sometimes can enhance aggressive tendencies.
Tomorrow, we will discuss chew toys to avoid.
Post a comment and let us know what your dog’s favorite chew toy is.
Kong’s exclusive, nontoxic red natural rubber is puncture resistant, super bouncy and chewer friendly. It is unmatched for legendary strength, resilience, durability and bounce. Kong toys are enthusiastically used and recommended by veterinarians, trainers, dog professionals and satisfied customers world wide. Extra Large KONGs are for Akitas, Golden Retrievers, Dalmations and Similar sized Mixed Breeds This item is temporarily OUT OF STOCK. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please call 1.800.889.8967 for availability.–>
Kong Dental Stick is designed with patented Denta-Ridges? that reduce plaque and food debris while providing a gentle abrasive cleaning and conditioning of teeth and gums. The Dental Stick makes a great fetch toy and treat dispenser.
Kong Stuff’n Paste and Healthy Teeth Dental Treats work great to initiate play sessions. Dog toothpaste can be used inside the grooves if desired for that extra clean feel. Made of soft, durable rubber. Kong toys will not stain or mark either you walls or carpets and are made of 100% pure natural rubber.
For use on dogs
When you throw a Kong dog toy, it bounces erratically, piquing your dog’s interest. Kong toys are made of Ultra-Flex, puncture-resistant natural rubber and a favorite for dogs and their owners. Great for working your dog?s teeth and gums. Large is 4.5 Inches.
- Puncture resistant, natural rubber
- Durable, safe, and fun
- Stuff with treats for an interactive dog toy
- Erratic bounce keeps dogs interested and engaged
- Will not stain or mark carpets or walls
- Stuff with treats for extra long play
For use on dogs