Dogs love to chew, but they can not distinguish between an old pair of sneakers and a good pair of leather shoes. It is up to your , the pet caretaker, to provide safe and proper chew toys to your dog and by picking the right kind of chew toys, you can also promote great dental health as your dog ages.
Safe Chew Toys for dogs
1. Rolled, shredded or compressed rawhides that are digestible and have been sanitized are generally safe for your dog. There had been a problem in the past with Salmonella contaminating some dog products in the past, so check your labels. [DFR::463098669-6222-ss|align_right_1]
2. Pig ears seem to be safe for dogs, but check for sterility.[DFR::455797034-6222-ss|align_left_1]
3. Dental chews, such as C.E.T. chews and Greenies are excellent chews for dogs and promote great dental health. Dental chews are enzymatically treated to fight plaque and tartar, and come in different sizes for small to large dogs. [DFR::463098573-6222-ss|align_right_1]
3. Kong toys hold up well to chewing for both small and large dogs. Some Kong toys have a hole in the center that you can fill with other chews, peanut butter or a special paste, that will keep the dog entertained for hours. This is especially useful if your dog suffers with separation anxiety. The Air Kongs have a tough, durable “tennis ball” cover with a squeaker inside. My Labrador loves this toy.[DFR::459671961-10052-ss|align_left_1]
3. Plush stuffed animals. Watch for parts that may be torn off and swallowed, or can result in choking. Mostly appropriate for small dogs and puppies. Larger dogs, such as my Jake, can annihilate a stuffed toy in mere seconds, locate the squeaker and try to swallow it. [DFR::456955716-12988-ss|align_right_1]
4. Rope and Floss toys. These are good for dogs teeth and are great fun to play with. Some experts, however, discourage tug-of-war play with your dog because it sometimes can enhance aggressive tendencies.
Tomorrow, we will discuss chew toys to avoid.
Post a comment and let us know what your dog’s favorite chew toy is.