- Take your puppy or dog to your veterinarian for a complete physical examination and vaccinations each year.
- Spay or neuter your pet.
- Discuss proper nutrition with your veterinarian.
- Avoid feeding table scraps.
- Monitor your dog’s weight. If you can’t feel the rib cage, he’s overweight.
- Keep fresh water available at all times. Change it daily.
- Securely attach Rabies Tag and an Identification Tag to your dog’s collar.
- Walk or jog your dog daily. It will do both of you good.
- Use a pet dental product daily to prevent tartar formation and gum infections.
- Never give a dog bones that can be splintered or swallowed.
- Begin obedience training when your dog is young. It’s easier to prevent than to correct problems.
- Set firm rules against jumping on people or furniture.
- Remember that praise works better than punishment.
- Use Heartworm prevention monthly.
- Have an internal parasite examination at least once each year.
- Keep your dog fenced to avoid getting lost or in automobile accidents.
- Provide adequate shelter for outside dogs. Use cedar chips for bedding instead of straw, blankets, etc.
- Select a breed that fits your lifestyle and living space.
- Play with your dog daily and observe for any signs of illness.
- Bathe your dog every 2 weeks in a shampoo balanced for dog skin. Most over-the-counter products are NOT!!
- Treat the environment (yard and house) on a regular basis for flea control.
- Never leave a pet unattended in a car.
- Never give chocolate to a dog. Four ounces can cause illness and death.
- Antifreeze tastes good to most dogs; however, it is fatal when ingested. Use caution when draining car radiators.
- Rinse off the dog’s feet after contacting salt or ice-melting chemicals.
25 Ways To Show Your Dog You Care
August 26, 2009 By Leave a Comment
Speak Your Mind
You must be logged in to post a comment.